Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup

                 This is a soup with pizzazz! I really enjoy this creamier version of chicken tortilla soup rather than the original. Like the kind they have at Panera Bread. Panera's is good, don't get me wrong- but it's more like a plain boring brothy soup versus this creamy version!
So if I were you, I would give it a try.


Here's what you'll need:

  • 1 tbsp Canola Oil
  • 1 1/2 Yellow Onion Chopped (1 medium)
  • 1 tbsp finely minced Garlic (3 Cloves)
  • 1 Jalapeño, seeded and chopped (about 1/4 cup)
  • 1 32 oz carton of low-sodium Chicken Broth
  • 1 tsp of each, Chili Powder, Cumin, and Paprika
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 1 1/4 lb Boneless Chicken Breast
  • 1 15oz can of Diced Tomatoes w/ Green Chiles 
  • 1 1/3 Cup of Milk
  • 1/3 Cup of Masa Harina 
  • 1 15oz can of Black Beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 15 oz can of Pinto Beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 Cup of Frozen Corn
  • 2/3 Cup of Heavy Cream
  • 1/4 Cup of Sour Cream 
For Serving:
Shredded cheese, Sour cream, diced avocado, cilantro, lime wedges, and tortilla chips.


Not too shabby! 
This is when you can kind of make it your own. When I'm cooking I'll often switch things up. Sometimes it ends up really bad and sometimes it works! Little things, like switching the type of beans. Or using a little less or even more chicken than the recipe calls for. Maybe you don't like black beans?! Use garbanzo if you want. Not a biggie. 
One thing I actually was worried about, but it ended out being fine- I could not find the Masa Harina... which I feel, was going to be a pretty important ingredient. Well.. I made it anyway!
It turned out fine. 
I've never had Masa Harina, so I really didn't know what I was missing out on anyway. However, I did research it and I think that ingredient is what really gives it it's creamy element. So, that is one thing I would suggest keeping on the ingredient list!
I did end up finding it later down the road at Hyvee. It was in the isle where all the other Mexican food is, duh.. 
It only came in a giant bag though, and I was thinking to myself; "When would I ever use this again?" I would suggest looking around for a smaller bag. And if not, get the big bag and make Tortilla Soup that can last you a year! 

And for the ingredients to serve the soup with; Use however much your little heart desires! I LOVE limes and lime juice on everything. So I squeezed that sucker until it was dry, and then dropped the lime wedge in the soup. It was so much better compared to my Fiancé's  bowl, which had no lime.. Boring! I guess citrus isn't for everyone. 


Now lets get cookin':

  1. Heat your oil (1 tbsp) in a Large pot over medium-high heat. Once it's hot, add onion (1 1/2 cup) and jalapeño (1/4 cup), then sauté for 3 minutes, adding garlic (1 tbsp) during the last 30 seconds of sautéing 
  2. Add Chicken Broth (1 32oz Carton), Chili Powder, Cumin, Paprika (1 tsp each), and Salt n' Pepper to taste. Then add whole Chicken Breasts (1 1/4lb) and bring mixture to a boil. 
  3. Reduce the heat to medium, cover the pot with a lid and gently boil until Chicken has cooked through, about 15 minutes
  4. Remove Chicken and allow to rest for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, add diced tomatoes w/ green chiles (1 15oz can) to pot.
  5. In a separate bowl, add milk (1 1/3 cup) and whisk in masa harina (1/3 cup) until well blended. Pour mixture into the pot and cook, stirring frequently until mixture boils and slightly thickens. 
  6. Dice the chicken that has been set to the side and add it to the pot. Add black and pinto beans (1 15 oz can each), then add the frozen corn (1 cup)
  7. Last but not least, stir in the heavy cream (2/3 cup), sour cream (1/4 cup) and cook until heated through
Serve topped with yummy melty cheese, sour cream, avocados, cilantro, limes, lots of limes.. and tortilla chips!
*If you're looking to make this gluten free, be sure you get the gluten free masa harina and tortilla chips

I really hope you enjoy this! I found this recipe on www.cookingclassy.com
So I just want to thank Cooking Classy for this delicious creamy version of chicken tortilla soup. 
I will definitely be making it again

Thanks for stopping!

xoxoxo




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive